Escort missions usually make me foam at the mouth because my squishy escorts tend to run straight into the face of danger and have the self-preservation instincts of suicidal lemmings.
A potent example is today’s failure of a mission:
- Escort Machiavelli to checkpoint
- Do pretty ok for most of journey, hiding in crowds and killing small batches of guards that spot me due to my hiding fail
- Reach final leg of journey, spot checkpoint, run excitedly towards it, breaking cover
- only to realize OHSHIT machiavelli and co. are still lagging behind me and the guards are onto us!!! D:
- Fight off guards, kill almost all except one who flees in terror after we slaughter his compatriots
- Breathe sigh of relief. Escort mission is FINALLY OVER.
- Unfortunately, Machiavelli does not know how to let go. To him, a fight to the death is a fight to the death.
- He gleefully gives chase to the fleeing guard, while I stare dumbfounded at his rapidly retreating back.
- I chase after him, forgetting about cover, and just wanting him to GTF back
- Along the way, we somehow manage to alert about 3 more patrols of guards, which I attempt to slaughter, but before I can even kill one, Machiavelli is already running straight into the next.
- Despite all my efforts, poor zealous machiavelli is cut down by the small army he accumulated during his chase and the mission is failed because my ALLY IS DEAD.
- I weep tears of despair and rage.